Warmley Wesley Methodist Main Page
Warmley Wesley Website can be contacted at warmleywesley@yahoo.co.uk

Whit Sunday

Whitsun was for the fit! On Whit Monday the procession left the Church in the morning, in company with Warmley Tower Methodists, and marched to Kingswood, resting for a while at Kingswood Methodist, before returning for Dinner. During the mid 1930s the very small children were carried in horse drawn Farm Wagons. Then, in the afternoon that parade went along Cadbury Heath and returned (Park Estate was not built) and then to Oldland where it paraded West Street, High Street and North Street, before returning to Wesley for Tea in the Schoolroom. After Tea the children ran races and scrambled for sweets at the Springfield, while the adults listened to the Band, which had already played for all the parades!

The following Saturday, The Band of Hope marched to Kingswood, as far as the Kingsway, ending up in various fields there, and probably having to walk home afterwards. And they enjoyed it! In 1938 a new Sunday School Banner was bought to replace two very old ones. It saw one outing before war caused suspension of all processions.

As the area expanded and Park Estate was built the Procession moved to Whit Sunday and left the Church early afternoon. It processed up Cadbury Heath Road, turning left onto Earlstone Crescent. It then passed Park Estate Shops before heading along Park Road and back to the Church along Tower Road North.

The Church continued to support the Band of Hope Temperance Procession until 1978. The Procession set out early afternoon, went down to Warmley and up Warmley Hill, through Kingswood High Street to the Kingsway, collecting other churcbes as it went. It then returned along the High Street to Kingswood Park. Tea would be taken in te Park, and then games were organised.

Photos of Post War Whitsun Processions:-

The 1938 Banner carried on a 1970s Procession by Dennis A.Dunn (on the left) and John Hann. Both Church Stewards

The Last Procession in 1978